Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Jobs with little recognition

It has always struck me odd how some of the toughest jobs out there get little to no recognition and pay the least as well. Many times they are shrugged off to those we may label as "uneducated" or "incompetent." Yet if we tried to do the job ourselves I'm afraid in most cases we would find that we couldn't do it half as well, or at all!
Today I'm giving a shout out to truckers. This last week I drove a semi for the first time hauling corn out of the fields. I only drove on the gravel roads for less than 2 miles at a time as I don't have a CDL. I never knew that all truckers without automatic shift without the clutch! This takes quite some skill and I was only dealing with 4 gears...to downshift while coming off the highway or in some of the weather conditions us normal folks wouldn't even want to drive a decked out 4-wheel drive vehicle is impressive to say the least. Here's to you truck driver, thanks for not hitting any of us while doing your job day in and day out! :)

1 comment:

Jill said...

I agree with this!! The "hands-on" smart people get little recognition for what is required in their jobs.... such as their instant problem-solving. It isn't uncommon that they have to make a decision based on their knowledge alone (not the computer!).... and a quick decision! sometimes this even involves math/physics depending on the equipment.... great post!